School History


Gardeners Road Public School was established in January 1883 when John Maloney opened the school in a temporary wooden school room designed to accommodate 200 pupils in one room. It was very different in the early 1920s when the enrolment climbed to 1700 pupils and the children were crammed into the main building and its corridors and a collection of temporary wooden classrooms and weather sheds.

Beginnings
In 1880 the area around the junction of Gardeners and Botany Roads was settled by a scattered population of market gardeners, with huge tracks of vacant land and a few pockets of workers who were employed in the factories which had begun to be established in the district. The Cooper Estate was to dominate the early history of Gardeners Road Public School and its sub division 30 years later was to result in an enormous rise in the school's enrolment.

 

  Gardeners Rd Public School 
C1915 class 1C

Gardeners Rd Public School
C1915 class 1C